Few accidents cause as many fatalities and injuries as trucks colliding with a smaller vehicle. That means truck accidents also cause more grief and heartache. Although there are top ten causes of truck accidents, many of the causes overlap in an actual collision.
If you or a loved one has been a truck accident victim, it is likely a combination of causes contributed to your tragedy. You or your family will probably soon receive a call from the trucking company’s insurance agent. Do not agree to any settlement before discussing your options with a Louisville truck accident attorney.
According to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), driver performance is responsible for many of the top ten causes of truck accidents. Driver activity – or lack of it – causing truck accidents include:
- Poor driving – speeding, tailgating, performing illegal maneuvers, driving too fast for the conditions and not recognizing the speed of other cars and trucks
- Impairment – this may include alcohol or substance abuse, falling asleep or a medical incident
- Performance – the accident may have resulted from driver performance, such as panicking or overcompensating
- Inattention – the driver may not have paid attention to the road, either because of a distraction in or out of the truck. Unfamiliarity with the road also contributes to crashes
Top ten causes of truck accidents include issues with the maintenance and safety of the truck. Primary problems include:
- Brake trouble
- Tire problems
- Cargo shift – a sudden shift in the weight load can result in overturning or jackknifing
The road’s condition often plays an important role in any accident, and may turn out as the primary cause of the accident. Road factor issues include:
- Weather conditions – flooding, icing and other acts of nature
- Required stops – besides stop signs, these include crosswalks and traffic calming devices
- Poorly maintained road
It is easy to see that certain accidents result from a “perfect storm,” when driver error, truck problems and/or road conditions come together to create chaos.
The FMCSA notes that brake problems are responsible for the greatest number of accident attributable to large truck issues, while “driving too fast for conditions” is the primary driver fault. Roadway problems are also a high-risk factor.
Drug and alcohol tend to prove more of an issue in the driver of the passenger vehicle involved in the crash.
How a Truck Accident Attorney Can Help
Nothing can bring back a loved one or restore a victim to their pre-crash state, but a Louisville truck accident attorney can help clients receive compensation for their injuries or loss of a loved one.
A truck accident lawyer knows how to investigate the circumstances of each crash and finding out who is liable for the catastrophe.
The maintenance records of the truck are inspected, and the accident reconstructed. Depending on the circumstances of the accident, the driver, truck owner, manufacturer or even a mechanic working on the vehicle may be held liable.
If you or a loved one has been the victim of one of the top ten causes of truck accidents, you need a Louisville personal injury lawyer to represent you. Call skilled lawyers today to schedule a free consultation.