Being in an auto or motorcycle accident can be very traumatic, no matter how serious the accident. Your mind is racing. Your body may be aching. But there are a few things you need to ALWAYS remember to do while you’re on the scene and afterward.
- Call the police and, if necessary, an ambulance
- Get the name, phone and insurance company of the other driver(s)
- Take careful note of the make, model and color of the other vehicle(s)
- Write down the exact location of the accident, including any side streets
- Take photographs of the accident, if possible, or at least draw a diagram of the scene and how it happened while it’s fresh in your mind
- Get the name of the police officer on the scene, as well as a business card if he/she has one
- Collect the names and phone numbers of any witnesses
- Notify your insurance company and file an accident report as soon as you can
- Call the Dream Team at McCoy & Hiestand Attorneys at Law.
Forgetting to do any of these steps unfortunately can make protecting yourself or getting a settlement more difficult. If you have any questions about the process, please don’t hesitate to contact us by phone or in person at our Louisville or Bardstown, KY locations. Safe driving!