More than one million patients suffer injuries or death due to miscalculations and other medication errors in the US each year. A pharmaceutical error can easily happen at any point in the prescription process.
Medication errors can occur in several ways, including:
- Prescribing medication that the patient is allergic to
- Failing to warn the patient of common side effects
- Administering incorrect medication or dosage
- Mislabeling the medication
- Prescribing medication that reacts negatively with other medications the patient is taking
Anyone involved with prescribing or administering the medication can be held liable. This can include the physicians, nurses, hospitals, pharmacists, and pharmaceutical manufacturer.
In order to establish a medical malpractice case claiming a medication error you must first prove the medical professional failed to act with the level of care that a similarly trained professional would have demonstrated under the circumstances. It will also need to be established whether or not the medication error is the cause of your harm.
The effects of a medication error can be fatal depending on the severity of the error. If you believe that you have suffered due to a medication error contact us today.